Peter PLUMMER , 18121876 (aged 63 years)

Given names

Annette Urquhart has advised: "Peter was married twice. His first wife died. After his second marriage he just up and left his family in 1858 after settling his debts. He was an accountant. Father writes that he thought Peter had gone to Australia but found he’s gone to America. Peter was in New York and was sick and wanted to return home but he didn’t. His second wife followed him to the USA leaving his children behind. Peter fought in the American Civil War (1861) for the Union side and was wounded and was posted to a fort for defence purposes. He requested two of his sons to go to America but only one went and I’m not sure of that. However, his wife returned to England and married twice more. Perhaps Peter returned, too, along with his son. However, I can’t find a death for him in the USA, a Census form with his son on it or a return to England. The possible date of death is from one of his children’s marriage certificate of this time in which father (Peter) is said to be deceased. He seems to have remained in contact with his children who were put in the poor house and father William had to pay for them and father William also had to take the youngest to live with him."

Annette has also advised:

"Peter Plummer b. 16 Dec 1812 Burton Overy, Leicestershire, England; d. bef. 1876 Minnesota City, Winona, Minnesota, USA. He married (1) LYDIA (TURTLE) TAYLOR 28 May 1837 in St James Clerkenwell Middlesex England. She was born Abt. 1806 in Luton, Bedfordshire, England34, and died 30 May 1855 in High Street Dunstable Bedfordshire England35. He married (2) HANNAH (BUNYAN) BUNNING36,37 06 Mar 1856 in The Parish Church The Parish of St James Clerkenwell Middlesex London England, daughter of JOHN BUNNING and ELIZABETH MOBLEY. She was born 1823 in Ashendon Buckinghamshire England, and died Dec 1902 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom38. They had seven (7) children. Peter had a reputation of being a "ne'er do well" and of being too fond of the drink. Peter's first wife, Lydia, died of Consumption in 1855. He married again in 1856, an older woman with some money. He left his second wife and children in 1858 and went to America. Peter's children were in the Union (poor/work house) in Dunstable, England and father William had to help financially; he also had the youngest child living at home with him. Peter was not named in his father's Will to receive any money. In 1861, Peter's second wife, Hannah, went to America to join him. The rest of the family didn't hear from him until 1865. Peter sent for his youngest son, Peter William, to join him in the USA. Peter's two youngest sons in England were apprenticed ‐ put out by the Parish ‐ one to a miller/baker and the other to a blacksmith. Peter's eldest daughter, Elizabeth, married a man who was a Relieving Officer in Charge of a Union Work House in England. She was consumptive like her mother. At the General Land Office in the United States, there is a Certificate of the Register of the Land Office at Steven's Point, for full payment made by Peter Plummer "the North East quarter of the South East quarter of Section twenty five in Township thirty one North of Range six East in the district of lands subject to sale at Steven's Point, Wisconsin, containing forty acres". "This land has been given to Peter Plummer and to his heirs and assigns forever". 1st September, 1858, and of the Independence of the United States the eighty third. James Buchanan, President. T I Albright, Secretary. I N Granger, Recorder of the General Land Office. (No. 9115. 248). In the USA, Peter was in the 8th Infantry Regiment Minnesota. Date of Organisation: 1 Aug 1862; Muster Date: 11 Jul 1865; Regiment State: Minnesota; Regiment Type: Infantry; Regiment Number: 8th. Enlisted Died of Disease or Accident: 1; Officers Died of Disease or Accident: 0; Enlisted Killed or Mortally Wounded: 26; Enlisted Died of Disease or Accident: 56; Regimental Soldiers and History: Regimental History Minnesota Eighth Infantry (Three Years). Eighth Infantry. ‐ Col. Minor T Thomas; Lieut.‐Col., Henry C. Rogers; Majs, George A Camp, Edwin A. Folsom. This Regiment was organised in the summer and fall of 1862 and was mustered in by companies. It was sent to the vicinity of the Indian raids, with headquarters at Fort Ripley. Co. A was sent to Anoka and Princeton and E to Monticello, both being on duty at the Chippewa agency in December. Headquarters were established at St. Cloud in the spring of 1863 but a small garrison was left at Fort Ripley, under Lieut.‐Col. Rogers and Co. F was detached to Princeton and Sunrise, the remainder of the Regiment moving to the Sioux frontier. Co. A was stationed at Kingston and Manannah, E at Paynesville, B at Sauk Centre, D at Pomme de Terre, K at Alexandria, C, G and H at Fort Abercrombie under Maj. Camp and they were detailed in small squads for patrolling the frontiers. They were in many slight skirmishes with the Indians, losing a number of men at Pomme de Terre, Kandiyohi Lake, Paynesville and other points. As mounted infantry the Regiment joined Sully's expedition against the Sioux in May, 1864, the several companies coming together at Paynesville for the first time. The Indians had been driven west of the Missouri the previous summer and the expedition started 5 June, joined Gen. Sully's command about 1 July, crossed the river 9 July, was in the battle of Killdeer mountain, where the Indians were defeated and driven into the mountains. Cos. E, F, H and I followed them through the ravines and drove them from the hills. They then returned to the supply train on Heart river and moved at once on the Bad Lands which were reached 5 Aug. On the 8th, they were attacked just at the edge of the plain by 5,000 Indians who were driven for 12 miles with a loss in killed and wounded of nearly 1,000, the troops losing about 100, only 9 of whom were killed. This battle was called "Waps‐Chon‐choka" by the Indians. The troops reached the Yellowstone on the12th and Fort Union on the 18th, turned towards home in September when 20 men from each company were detailed to go to the relief of Capt. Fisk who was a party of emigrants was surrounded by Indians. This was accomplished quickly, the Regiment reached Fort Snelling 15 Oct and left the state 26 Oct for Murfreesboro, Tenn., where it was joined by those who had been left in Dakota. It assisted in driving the enemy away from the Wilkinson pike that routed the enemy but lost 90 in killed and wounded in 30 minutes. It was ordered to Columbia and assigned to the 3rd brigade, 1st division, 23rd corps and followed Hood to the Tennessee river. It was then ordered to North Carolina and reached New Berne early in March, 1865. It participated in the battle of Kinston where Bragg's force was repeatedly repulsed, occupied Goldsboro, 22 March, joining Sherman's forces at that point. It then did provost guard duty at Raleigh until 12 May when it moved to Charlotte from which point it was ordered home and was mustered out 11 July 1865. Battles fought: Fought on 2 May 1863 at Pomme de Terre, MN. Fought on 11 Jun 1863. Fought on 11 Sep 1863 at Meeker County, MN Fought on 2 Sep 1864. Fought on 20 Sept 1864. Eleventh Census of the United States ‐ Special Schedule ‐ Surviving Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines, and Widows, etc Persons who served in the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps of the United States during the war of the rebellion (who are survivors), and widows of each persons, in Graceville Township, County of Big Storer ‐ State of Minnesota, enumerated in June, 1890. David H Cunningham. Enumerator. (No. 9). House Number: 185, Family Number: 185, Peter Plummer, Priv. C. Min 8 Reg. 15. Aug. 1862 ‐ 15 Apr 1865, 2 years eight month. Post‐Office Address: Graceville Big Storer Co. Minnes. Disability Incurred: Attacked with (?savagery......resulting in these (?)disorders."