Mary McLEAN , 18321901 (aged 69 years)

Mary /McLEAN/
Given names
married name
Given names

On board the "Brilliant" with her parents and three siblings.


On board the "Brilliant" with her parents and three siblings.



The "Brilliant" was a copper-sheathed wooden-hulled ship of 428 tons. It was built in Montreal, Canada, in 1834. It made at least two voyages to Australia. The first was under the command of Captain Gilkison departing from Tobermory, Isle of Mull on 27 September 1837 and arriving in Sydney on 20 January 1838.

Extract from the Inverness Courier Index 1837, p.212. ''A large body of emigrants sailed from Tobermory on the 27th September for New South Wales. The vessel was the 'Brilliant', and its size and splendid fittings were greatly admired.''

''The people to be conveyed by this vessel are decidedly the most valuable that have ever that have ever left the shores of Great Britain; they are all of excellent moral character, and from their knowledge of agriculture, and the management of sheep and cattle, must prove a most valuable acquisition to a colony like New South Wales."

''The Rev. Mr MacPherson, of Tobermory, preached a farewell sermon before the party sailed. The total number of emigrants was 322, made up as follows: from Ardnamurchan and Strontian, 105; Coll and Tiree, 104; Mull and Iona, 56; Morven, 25; Dunoon, 28; teachers 2; surgeons 2. A visitor from new South Wales presented as many of the party as he met with letters of introduction, and expressed himself highly gratified with the prospect of having so valuable an addition to the colony. A government agent superintended the embarkation.''

In a letter to Sir Richard Bourke, Governor of the then colony of New South Wales, Lord Glenelg explained that the original intention had been to send the "Brilliant" to Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania), but because of reports of poor prospects for immigrants there the ship had been sent to Sydney instead.

Historical Records of Australia. Series 1. Volume XIX. July 1837- -January, 1839. Sailing of ship Brilliant with emigrants. Lord Glenelg to Sir Richard Bourke * (Despatch No 582, per ship Upton Castle.) 4 Oct. Sir, I have the honor to acquaint you that the Ship “Brilliant” has lately sailed for New South Wales with a Party of Highlanders from the Hebrides. The vessel was originally destined for Van Diemen’s Land; but in consequence of the unfavorable advices received from Sir John Franklin of the existing prospects for Emigrants in that Colony, her destination has been changed. As two other vessels have so recently proceeded to New South Wales with Emigrants of the same description it has been determined not to dispatch the “Brilliant” to that Colony; but Sir John Franklin’s representations were such as to render it absolutely necessary to give up the original intention of sending her to Van Diemen’s Land, while at the same time the undertaking was too far advanced to be entirely abandoned.

Under these circumstances, she has sailed for Sydney. The Colonists will, I have no doubt, be glad to receive the Emigrants who have been selected on this occasion; but I have thought it right to explain the reason of their being dispatched in such apparently rapid succession. I have &c., GLENELG

The voyage of the "Brilliant" took 116 days. It did not sail direct, but put in at the Cape of Good Hope on the 28th November 1837. She departed there on the 2nd December 1837.

On arrival in Sydney a committee of passengers wrote a letter of thanks to Captain Gilkison. This letter was written by James McLaurin. James and his wife Mary from Dunoon in Argyle, brought their twelve children, four sons-in-law and their 10 grandchildren, amounting to 28 passengers in all.

To Captain Gilkison of the 'Brilliant'. Sir, We beg leave before quitting your ship to express our gratitude for the kindness and indulgence we have experienced from you and the officers under your command during our voyage. While we would with humility and thankfulness recognise the hand of providence in preserving and guiding us on our perilous way and in bringing us in safety to our destination; we at the same time consider ourselves bound to acknowledge our deep obligations to you for your vigilance and activity as commander of the ship, and your unremitting attention and readiness to forward every measure calculated to promote our comfort.

When we thus testify our own feelings we have much pleasure in assuring you that we likewise convey those of all our fellow emigrants each of whom most cordially concurs in those sentiments which we now express.

We beg that this may be understood not as the empty language of mere compliment, but as the sincere, honest and spontaneous expression of heartfelt gratitude. To your crew our heartfelt thanks are also due for their orderly and civil behaviour to us and our children throughout the voyage.

We are sir, Your obedient and obliged servants. James McLaurin Chairman of Committee. Sydney Harbour January 24, 1838.

The "Sydney Herald" reported on the Brilliant's arrival in Sydney:

"The Brilliant from Tobermory, Isle of Mull, Scotland arrived on Saturday with 312 distressed Highlanders."

The term "distressed" used here is thought to be about the general living conditions of the emigrants in their homeland and not as a result of their journey.



Northern Star 20 November 1901

"she (Mary) married the late Mr William McKinnon, and shortly afterwards went to Maclean on the Clarence River, about 1862, where Mr McKinnon entered into business as a storekeeper on the property subsequently purchased by Mr Alexander Cameron. After some years, spent on the Clarence, Mr McKinnon and family came to the Richmond, selecting Wilson's Creek about the year 1879, where Mr McKinnon died about 16 years ago. The family remained there until the property ("Torwood"), now known as "Mylnefield", was disposed of to Mr J.M. Dunn. Since then Mrs McKinnon has resided with different members of her family. She has had a family of nine children of whom three sons and two daughters survive, one of the latter being Mrs T. Exton [Jnr] Mrs Hugh Gibson of Cowlong Rd is a sister, and Mr John McLean J.P. of same place is a brother; and another brother Mr Donald McLean of Deep Creek, died last year. Of a very retiring disposition, Mrs McKinnon was only known to a few of the residents of latter times, but all who knew her, as did those of earlier years, valued her friendship, and her sterling character. Like all the pioneers, she had her share of hardships incidental to the early settlers, and she has died as she lived - respected by everyone. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon and her remains being interred, as she herself desired, alongside her husband in the McLean's Ridges Cemetery, in the presence of many a sincere mourner."


In 1863, they moved to Rocky Mouth (or Maclean on the Clarence River, northern NSW.) Here they set up another general store, also called "Balmoral House". In May 1865, William was advertising the sale of his business. Later, the “Clarence River Examiner” (CRE) on 24 Oct 1865 advertised the auction of his business. It was described as "a well furnished store and dwelling containing a shop with counter and fixtures’, and standing on a block of 19 metre (62 foot) frontage to the river". With no purchaser found William sold his stock to Alexander Cameron, his opponent in business.

Subsequently, William then acted variously as a commission agent selling maize in Sydney, then back at Rocky Mouth as an auctioneer & broker; land, shipping and general commission agent; rent collector; corn buyer.

Archibald CAMERON's biography then tells us that in 1878 William travelled from the Clarence River and met Mary McKINNON's brother Neil McLEAN in the Richmond River area when they were both looking for land.