John E HOWELL , –
Excerpts from the Dungog Chronicle March 29, 1901
It is not often that the good people of Bandon Grove and district have the opportunity of witnessing such an attractive wedding as that which took place at the Bandon Grove Church on Wednesday morning last (March 27, 1901), when the Rev P McQueen, of Dungog (Presbyterian) united in the holy bonds of matrimony Miss Bella Irwin, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs Thomas Irwin, to Mr JE Howell, of Newcastle.
The church, which had been profusely decorated by the friends of the bride, was crowded with spectators.
The bride, who was given away by her father, looked fascinating in a dress of white voile trimmed with chiffon and orange blossoms; she wore the customary wreath and veil, and carried a beautiful shower bouquet.
As the newly wed couple left the church they were showered with rose leaves and rice, the Wedding March being played by Miss Elsie Irwin at the organ.
The bridesmaids were Miss Evelyn Irwin and Eva and Isabel Dixon.
The former was neatly attired in a purple bengaline costume trimmed with cream silk; the latter two looked very nice in cream cashmere dresses with hats to match.
Each bridesmaid was he recipient of a handsome gold brooch, the gift of the bridegroom. The duties of the “best man” were ably carried out by Mr Fred Irwin.
After the marriage ceremony a magnificent reception was held at the residence of the bride’s parents at “Tillegra”, a large number of guests being present at the breakfast, the excellent quality of which is beyond description.
The Rev P McQueen proposed the health of the bride and bridegroom, to which Mr Howell responded.
The bridegroom proposed “the bridesmaids” to which the best man responded.
Mr Thomas Irwin proposed the health of Rev McQueen to which the rev gentleman replied.
After the breakfast, Mr and Mrs Howell left for Sydney, where they will spend their honeymoon, returning to Newcastle, where they will in future reside.
The bride was the recipient of many valuable and useful presents. We wish Mr and Mrs Howell every happiness and prosperity in their new home.
The article and photo was given to the Chronicle by Dungog Historical Society member Marie Neilson.