Mary Ann GREGORY , 18481928 (aged 80 years)

Gregory - Mary Ann
Name
Mary Ann /GREGORY/
Given names
Mary Ann
Surname
GREGORY
Citation details: V18481119 55/1848 GREGORY MARY A WILLIAM SARAH
Quality of data: questionable evidence
Name
Mary Ann /WILLIAMSON/
Type
married name
Given names
Mary Ann
Surname
WILLIAMSON
Occupation

Mary Ann brought a wealth of personal experience to her job as a midwife, being the mother of ten children, only two of whom died in infancy.

Residence

Walter and Mary Ann built a two bedroom house on this block.

Burial

Mary Ann's funeral was reported in the "Newcastle Morning Herald on 29 December, 1928:

"The funeral of Mrs Mary Ann Williamson, relict of Mr W. Williamson, left her late home in Hunter Street Merewether for the Methodist portion of the Sandgate cemetery. Rev E.H. Wilson officiated. The pall-bearers were four gransons of the deceased. [An extensive list of wreaths were given, including ones from the Park Street Methodist Church, the Park Street Methodist Sunday School, members and friends of the Methodist circuit, Winn and Co., Winn and Co., employees and the employees of the Newcastle Water Board.]

The deceased who was 80 years of age was born at Morpeth and had been a resident of Merewether since childhood. She had taken an active part in the work of the Methodist Church and was a well-known figure in charitable functions."

Religion

Mary Ann was an active member of the Primitive Methodist Church. The original Burwood Primitive Methodist Church had been built on a block near The Junction School in 1859 and had been initially designated as The Junction Chapel. However that name was rejected in favour of the name Burwood. A new brick church was built on the same site in 18979. The Burwood Primitive Methodist Church was part of the Newcastle circuit until it was made a circuit in its own right in 1886. The Primitive Methodists were so named because they retained one of John Wesley's traditions, the outdoor, day long revival meetings, or camp meetings. As the Methodist Church in England became more formalised at the beginning of the 19th century, these meetings were condemned by the Wesleyan Conference as "highly improper and likely to be of considerable mischief". The movement managed to formalise itself in the 1820's and became a successful missionary enterprise in New South Wales in the 1840's. However, towards the end of the 19th century, the Primitive Methodists were moving to unity in the mainstream Methodist Church and in 1901 they became part of the Methodist Church of Australia.

At some point in this process, Mary Ann and Walter became active members of the Park Street Methodist Church, Merewether, which opened on 21 November, 1887.