Angela Phippen in 2008, published on The Dictionary of Sydney web site, has written, in part:
"The first grants of land in the local government area of Ryde were in the area now called Melrose Park, to two ex-marines, Isaac Archer and John Colethread, on 3 January 1792. The first grants of land in the modern-day suburb of Ryde were to ten emancipated convicts in February 1792, east of the land granted to the marines. The area was called Eastern Farms or the Eastern Boundary because it was east of Parramatta. Four of these settlers, William Careless, Richard Cheers, John C Morris and James Weavers, were given 30-acre (12-hectare) grants in recognition of their bravery when their convict transport, the Guardian, which left England in September 1789, hit an iceberg off the Cape of Good Hope. While many on board abandoned ship, a small number of convicts, including those named, made a valiant attempt to save the vessel. Eventually, the survivors reached Sydney on the Surprise, a Second Fleet ship.
By 1794 the area was called Kissing Point, a name believed to have originated from the way in which heavily laden boats passing up the Parramatta River bumped or 'kissed' the shallow bottom as they rounded a particular point in the river. In 1798 the district boasted the largest concentration of settlers in the colony. It became an important supplier of fresh foodstuffs to the Sydney markets with fruit, vegetables, poultry, maize and pigs."
Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney - Ryde & Marsfield 1894